Thursday 4 August 2011

REQUIEM VAMPIRE KNIGHT book 4 review


Collects the stories THE CONVENT OF THE SISTERS OF BLOOD and THE QUEEN OF DEAD SOULS

Writer: Pat Mills

Art:Olivier Ledroit

Published by Panini Publishing

Review by Stewart Loud

My favourite series of 2011 continues apace in another brilliantly twisted, shocking and funny graphic novel from 2000ad creator, Pat Mills. This one's so good I'm almost wishing I hadn't given all the previous books 10/10 so I could score it higher than them. Yep, loads more nudity and gore, plenty of off colour Monty Pythonesque jokes, more spectacular artwork and more ideas and plot devices so dark and original that it grabs your attention like a sobering slap in the face for your brain.

Not really much I can say about how good this series is that I haven't already said in the reviews I did for books 1-3 (links to them at the bottom of this review) so again, I've taken plenty of photos of the artwork for you to marvel at.

As good as this book is, I do recommend you read the previous 3 first or this one won't make much sense. It'd still definitely make you laugh though with lines like “I love the smell of nuns in the morning!” and Requiems moral lacking womanising new friend Sabre is a great character. When begging to be spared execution, he comes out with lines like “I'll do anything. I have no shame.”

Requiem's alternate personality, Thurim plays a much bigger part in this one with him cutting loose with his incredible powers to get Requiem out of some desperate situations involving armies of demonic nuns and soldiers as he tries to save Rebecca from her captors. He also seems set on screwing his was through as many different people as he kills, weather they it's consensual or not (like I said. Dark) We also get a bit more back story on Thurims bloody crusades, supposedly in the name of Christianity during his human life as well as some disturbing background on Sabbat's human life and how he ended up living in a big castle in hell, shagging a talking baboon. No really. I'm not making this up.

It looks like Dracula will finally be heading back to Necropolis with his armies, where the shit is likely to hit the fan. Not only has his old enemy Thurim resurfaced and the city is in the grip of several demonic plagues but there are also plenty of different factions planning to make power plays or attacks against him. The next book looks like it could be the most explosively apocalyptic yet and in the case of these books, that's really saying something.

I've said this before but if you like comics then you need to give this series a go. In 25 years of reading comics, I've never seen anything else quite like it.

SCORE 10/10

Click these links for my previous Requiem Vampire Knight reviews

Book 1 collects RESURRECTION and DANSE MACABRE

Book 2 collects DRACULA and THE VAMPIRES BALL

Book 3 collects DRAGON BLITZ and HELLFIRE CLUB

Click this link to get to my facebook group page any comments or feedback are welcome on there and I'm always happy to talk about comics.

Click the Punisher's Cosplay and Comics title at the top of this page to get to the blog home page and more reviews. Full index on the right hand side.

No comments:

Post a Comment